Thursday, February 09, 2006

SUN drives me crazy

Another JXXX. It was SeeBeyond, now it's JCAPS, yes, very creative, it's the catch all, J followed by all CAPS. If Scott can't remember all the JXXX trademarks, JCAPS summarizes them all. I think SUN can turn profit by just cutting the attorney fees for registering these JCAPS.

I challenged SUN to create a Solaris 10 control panel similar to Windows server 2003 control panel long long time ago. I still don't see it coming. Guess it is super hard. Now I know why Bill Gates is smart and Microsoft is making money. You get paid by selling products, you don't get paid by giving away technology. Microsoft is selling products, even though they are crappy; SUN is giving away technologies, even though they are marvelous. Windows Server 2003 with a GUI control panel is a complete and usable product; Solaris 10 without a control panel is a piece of cryptic technology that few can take advantage of.

4 Comments:

Blogger Eddie said...

You shouldn't recommend to invest in Sunw, I hope you are not, because SUNW has a personality complex. More info in my recent post:
http://chicagrafo.blogspot.com/2006/02/sun-microsystems-multiple-personality.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/dhwlk

3:21 PM, February 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As an engineer, I also like SUN's technology. But, I have rejected job offers from SUN (one in 04, one in 05)just because I do not think I will feel secure working there. The job looks execiting, the place looks nice, the benefits rocks. But, I don't really know how are they going to make big bucks by giving technologies away for FREE and having very strange marketing

6:09 PM, February 09, 2006  
Blogger Sharikou, Ph. D. said...

People are paying $500 for a license for a Linux control panel (checkout products such as cpanel). Linux is 100 million lines of code and is free, but why people are paying $500 for a small program that makes Linux system admin easy? Because without it, Linux is like a TV without the control buttons--to most people. Scott McNealy was wondering why people pay $60,000 for an Oracle license to run on the $3000 T2000 server....just try think about it, people pay that money because they can make more....

If Solaris 10 has a control panel, then the T2000 will have great use immediately, it can handle tons of web traffic with Solaris 10 -- if some Joe without a Solaris 10 certificate can use it.

11:17 AM, February 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't rememeber clearly but I think Sun has some system admin tools that make up for the lack of a "control panel". I think they had to be installed separately.

cheers

12:10 AM, February 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home